Sunday, May 6, 2012

Spiritual Guidance

I have seriously neglected this little blog. I mean for it to be a place where I can write down my personal thoughts and spiritual experiences.  One would think that, because I don't post often, I must not have many spiritual experiences.  That couldn't be more wrong. 

One problem is that it is not often convenient to post as spiritual experience as it happens.  And, because of life, I then forget. Another reason I may not post my experiences is that I often feel like I am not eloquent enough.  My words might not convey the true emotion that I feel.  And, more often than not, I may not recognize an experience with the spirit, until some time as passed and I can look back and see my Heavenly Father's hand in my life. These are all excuses, and although they may be valid, they are excuses just the same.

I am reminded of a talk given by Elder Richard G. Scott in the October 2009 General Conference.  It is titled "To Acquire Spiritual Guidance."  The part of the talk that affected me most is when he talks about writing spiritual impressions down and then pondering them.  He then describes receiving even more spiritual promptings as he has followed this process. Elder Scott spoke about the personal nature of these impressions, and that they come with practice. He said,"I believe that you can leave the most precious, personal direction of the Spirit unheard because you do not respond to, record, and apply the first promptings that come to you."

 I don't want to miss direction from the spirit.  I want to establish a pattern of seeking, receiving, and recognizing personal guidance from the spirit. I will do this as I return to daily scripture study. I will pray to recognize promptings from the Spirit and then act on them. Then I will write them down and give myself time to ponder (probably the hardest step for me). I am eager about what I may find in this process.

No comments:

Post a Comment