Thursday, August 12, 2010

Shhh... Be Still

I realize I have not yet posted about my experience at Girls' Camp. I wish I had taken the time back when I returned. It was an unexpectedly overwhelming spiritual experience for me.  I was expecting to have a fun time and feel the spirit a little.  I hadn't expected the almost constant companionship of the spirit for 5 days straight.  It was a beautiful place, where I can honestly say I felt closer to the Lord.  I was fascinated to learn that the missionaries at the camp are not under the mission department of the church, they are part of the temple department.  Not surprisingly, the camp is called the temple on the mountain.  That perfectly describes how I felt for five days-like I was in the temple.

I came back wanting to be a better person and feeling better person than I have felt in too long.  I realized how noisy my life had become, and I had a strong desire to eliminate the noise.  I need to focus on my family and my church calling.  I don't have to do anything that will take me from those things.

But then life happened and things got crazy all over again.

Right now, while on vacation, I have slowed down again, and realized what needs to go.  I can't do it all, and I don't have to do everything the same as everyone else.  I have realized that right now is not the time for me to tackle some big PTA job.  I guess it takes me getting away to get some perspective and adjust my priorities.

I need to quiet my life and decide what is really important to me.  Right now the things that are most important to me are: my family, my home, my own well-being, and my church calling.  Everything else is going to have to take a back seat for awhile.

I am reminded of the scripture: Be still and know that I am God. That's going to be my motto for the next while.

No comments:

Post a Comment