Sunday, May 2, 2010

9-year-olds and the Old Testament

I teach the 9-year-old class in Primary.  First of all, I love Primary.  I especially love this group because they are all very unique, and they are really getting into the Old Testament.  And so am I.

From a kid's perspective, what's not to love about the Old Testament?  There's death, destruction, trickery, and much more.  I loved their reactions to Lot's wife.  They were imagining what it would have looked like in a movie to be turned into a pillar of salt.  Would she just become a pile of salt that blew away on the wind, or was it more like a statue made of salt?  And why would she look back when an angel told her not to? Duh!

I would dare say that their favorite so far has been the story of Jacob and Esau.  You have to love a story about a smooth brother and a hairy brother.  That week it was all girls, and as we read the account in the scriptures, one by one they all started to giggle.  Then they tried to imagine what Esau looked like.  One girl is sure he looked like the grumpy old troll in Dora the Explorer.  Plus, dressing up in goat skins so your blind father will think you are the hairy brother?  This is spicy stuff!

I have been amazed at how much I have learned about the Old Testament.  Not just the stories, but how they relate to me.  Every week it seems like the message is very personal- something I haven't felt about this book before. I'm disappointed the weeks I've had to get a substitute, because I know I'm missing something good.  I love knowing my calling was indeed inspired.

Right now we are working our way through the story of Joseph, who was sold into Egypt.  Another juicy story.  Then the kids made the most amazing request.  Could we have a party and watch the movie about Joseph?  Well, what do you say to a request like that other than-YES!  Not a Wii party.  Not a water party, but a party to watch a movie about an Old Testament prophet.  What great kids!

1 comment:

  1. I keep reading your posts and thinking I have get into the OT again. Maybe after the 100 day B of M challenge we should do a 100 day Old Testament run. Okay, probably not 100 days...

    How did the furry vest prop go?

    ReplyDelete