Monday, May 10, 2010

We Women

My friend, Cheryl, posted this quote, and I have been thinking about it ever since.

 "We women have a lot to learn about simplifying our lives. We have to decide what is important and then move along at a pace that is comfortable for us. We have to develop the maturity to stop trying to prove something. We have to learn to be content with what we are." — Marjorie Pay Hinckley

I think too often I have too many "important" things I want to do; so many that I never get any of it done. Someone recently told me that no one could accomplish my to-do list-EVER. I need to decide what is important right now and what important things can be done later.

I really need to remember to move along at a comfortable pace for me.  My comfortable pace does not have to match the pace of anyone else.  As long as I am moving in the right direction, my perfectionist-self needs to allow that to be enough.

I love when she says,"We have to develop the maturity to stop trying to prove something."  While sometimes I find myself trying to prove something to someone, usually I am trying to prove something to myself.  I seem to have this perception of how I "should" be or what I "should" do.  Someone once told me to beware of the "shoulds."  It's so true! The "shoulds" can be my downfall.  Often when I am feeling depressed it is because I can't measure up to all of the expectations I place upon myself. 

I have really been trying to be more content this year.  I have mostly been focusing on being content with what I have. I'm so happy about the reminder to be content with who I am. When I have been content with myself is when I have been the happiest.  I want to recognize my own strengths, instead of comparing my weaknesses to the strengths of others.  I want to improve my weaknesses instead of using them to be hard on myself.  

 What I love most about this quote is the idea that simplifying my life needs to begin within my own head and heart. Thanks Sister Hinckley.

No comments:

Post a Comment